How are we to view the 10 commandments?
- The Way Jesus did. Through the context of love.
- Not through the lens of moralism.
- God is not withholding from us, but has our best interest at heart.
- As truth that keeps us from going back into bondage.
And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 “You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. 7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. 12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
13 “You shall not murder.
14 “You shall not commit adultery.
15 “You shall not steal.
16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
People do not despise a thief; if he steals to satisfy himself when he is starving. Yet when he is found, he must restore sevenfold; He may have to give up all of the substance of his house.
What did Jesus say about lying?
“For every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgement. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.
Message Take Aways:
- Think about stealing in regards to anything that is not rightfully yours and how your actions reflect your character.
- Remember how lying destroys trust and relationships; but also that you will be held accountable for your word on the day of judgement.
- Let your actions reflect God’s true character - Remember that as a Christian that your actions and lifestyle are a reflection of God’s character