Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
How do we discover what matters most:
16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
1. We need to start with the right questions?
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
2. We need to go to the right source.
18 “Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,
3. Determine what values will govern my life?
19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”
4. Identify my roles & areas of responsibility to others.
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
5. We must be willing to do what Jesus is asking of us.