Essentials 2.0 - Changing The Way You Think
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
The Process of Renewing Your Mind
- Rehearse God’s word in your heart and mind.
Psalms 1:1-3 Blessed is the man ho walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
- 2. Reject unhealthy thinking and replace it with God’s truth.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
John 8:31-32 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
- Remember this is a process and must be practiced.
Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
Scriptures for Meditation
- Lust or Immorality: Psalms 101, 1 Corinthians 6:13-20, Proverbs 5:15-21, Proverbs 6:20-7:27
- Worry & Anxiety: Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew 6:24-34, Matthew 11:28-30, Isaiah 40:31
- Fear: 2 Timothy 1:7, Psalms 91, Isaiah 26:3
- Anger or Unforgiveness: Ephesians 4:26-27, Matthew 18:21-35, Proverbs 14:17, Proverbs 15:1, 1 Corinthians 13, Galatians 5:22-23
- Discouragement: Galatians 6:9, Hebrews 12, Romans 5:35, Joshua 1:8-9
- Condemnation: Romans 8:14, 1 John 1:9, Revelation 12:10-11, Psalms 103:8-14, Ephesians 2:4-8, 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Insecurity: Philippians 4:13, Psalms 46:13
- Marriage Issues: Ephesians 5:21-33, 1 Peter 3:1-12
- Pride: James 4:6-10, Mark 9:35, Matthew 23:11-12
- Financial Issues: 1 Timothy 6:6-12, Luke 12:13-21, Matthew 6:19-24, Proverbs 10:22, Malachi 3:8-12, Psalm 37